Learning to recycle and waste less is important for keeping our planet healthy and happy. And, if you care about the environment, there are tons of simple ways to help out by recycling everyday items! Check out the top 10 ways to recycle and be more waste-conscious in general:
1. Buy recycled paper and print on both sides. Recycle the paper when you are finished. By recycling one ton of paper, you can save 17 trees, almost 7,000 gallons of water, and more.
2. Recycle your outdated technology. According to EPA, Americans throw out two million tons of e-waste each year. Avoid adding to that waste by recycling your old technology.
3. Make recycling bins readily available. Make sure your home and office are outfitted with recycling bins for paper, plastic, and metal. Keep them out in the open and label them appropriately.
4. Recycle your empty ink and toner cartridges. Almost eight cartridges are thrown out in the United States every second of every day. That's almost 700,000 cartridges per day.
5. Buy remanufactured ink and toner cartridges. Each remanufactured cartridge keeps approximately 2.5 pounds of metal and plastic out of landfills and saves about a half-gallon of oil.
6. Recycle old newspapers laying around the office. When finished reading the newspaper, either leave it for someone else to read or recycle it.
7. Look for the recycled option in all the products you buy. It's not just paper that is recycled.
8. Buy rechargeable batteries. It takes 1,000 regular batteries to equal the lifespan of one rechargeable battery. When you are discarding your batteries, recycle them.
9. Purchase rewritable CDs and DVDs so that you can reuse them from project to project.
10. Reuse your morning coffee cup. Or better yet, buy a mug to avoid the waste caused by throwing away the paper or Styrofoam.
It’s always beneficial to learn something new! At Barringer Square Apartments in Webster, Texas, we love to provide you with thought-provoking facts that will make you reflect on different aspects of life.